<kbd id="xijrkf3l"></kbd><address id="n7jacxeg"><style id="2337h306"></style></address><button id="cgrlv53n"></button>

          Skip to main content

          Recent Updates Fordham offices remain staffed and operating remotely. The University has released its plan, Fordham Forward, to resume in-person teaching and learning for the Fall semester. Full Details

          Office of Finance Policies and Guidelines







          Gifts to employees can be separated into three categories:

          • Small gifts
          • Large gifts
          • Cash or cash equivalent gifts (e.g. gift cards)

          Whenever possible, we recommend gifts not be made using cash or cash equivalents. When making a gift to an employee, it is important to know in which category the gift falls.  If the gift is anything other than a small gift, it is generally taxable to the employee.


          Small gifts

          Small gifts are generally not taxable to employees who receive them.  In order to qualify as a small gift, it should have a low cost (less than $75) and be provided infrequently to an employee.  Small gifts may include, but are not necessarily limited to, tickets for entertainment events; holiday gifts; and flowers, fruit, books, etc., provided under special circumstances.

          Whether an item qualifies as a small gift depends on all the facts and circumstances around the gift and the employee to whom it is presented.  If you are uncertain as to whether a particular type of gift would qualify, please consult with the Office of Finance at controllers@fordham.edu or ext. 4950.

          If a gift provided to an employee is not a small gift, it is a large gift with special reporting requirements listed later, and is generally taxable to the employee.


          Cash or cash equivalent gifts

          As noted above, cash or cash equivalent gifts (which include gift cards, gift certificates, savings bonds, and other instruments that take a similar form as cash) provided by Fordham to an employee are almost always taxable to that employee.

          A certificate that allows an employee to receive a specific item of personal property that is minimal in value, provided infrequently, may qualify as a small gift, depending on facts and circumstances.  In these situations, please consult with the Office of Finance if you are unsure as to whether the certificate would qualify.


          Reporting these types of gifts

          If the benefits provided qualify as small gifts, no reporting is necessary.

          500 Internal Server Error

          Internal Server Error

          The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.

          [1] If the gift amount is determined to be unreasonable or noncompliant with policies or regulations, the University may decline to pay some or any taxes associated with the gift.


          Gifts to non-employees

          Gift purchases, regardless of their size or nature, may be taxable to a non-employee.  For non-employees, if the cumulative value of gifts provided to a non-employee during any calendar year exceeds $600, the University may be required to report those gifts to the IRS and the non-employee as income on Form 1099-MISC.


          Conflicts of Interest

          We would also like to remind all Fordham employees of the University’s conflict of interest policy, which among other things, prohibits employees from accepting certain gifts from parties with which the employee or University may have a financial interest.  A copy of the policy is attached to this message.

              <kbd id="lduliy61"></kbd><address id="u16t1k2l"><style id="txr4xuk0"></style></address><button id="8y9zb7do"></button>